At last, I have achieved a hard-won victory over the insidious Victorian Lace Today‘s Lilac Scarf! My first cast-on was with a bamboo 4-ply; a month later, that was ripped out and I attempted it in a hand-painted mohair. I just couldn’t get my mind around the pattern, which was probably due partly to some permanent brain damage from being hit by a bus, but more so to the horrendous amount of stress I was under two years ago. No matter how I tried, I managed to mangle the first border section in at least three more attempts, and frankly, I was getting just a wee bit discouraged. Maybe I was never going to be able to knit lace – and this was the simplest introductory pattern in the book – and I was almost resigned to being a few yards short of a full skein forever.
Then I was browsing the sale racks at Full Thread Ahead and grabbed eight balls of Tahki Dream – four green, two each of purple and black – thinking that this might be the solution to my dilemma. I cast on last summer, I think (you could check my Ravelry pages for the exact time) and managed to get the first border done after only three tries! Then it was the tedium of row after row of a 2-row pattern; true to form, I managed to screw this up a number of times as well. I’d be going along thinking it was working fine and suddenly realize that I was either one stitch over or one stitch under, and rip it back to the border again.